Participants missing required equipment, either at the start or during the event, will be disqualified and will not be eligible to receive a HIGHLANDER Pin, Patch and Certificate.
*This equipment can be shared in a group of maximum of 4 people, the group must cross the Finish Line with not more than 30 minutes time difference. Participants sharing equipment must inform the organizing staff at Registration – Event week.
All mandatory equipment can be checked at the start, before the start of the event.
- Tent* or bivouac sack or hammock and waterproof tarp
- Sleeping bag (not required if bringing bivouac sack)
- Sleeping pad (not required if bringing bivouac sack with a built-in sleeping pad)
- Head torch / flashlight
- Cookware & cutlery
- Water purification tablets or drops or filter
- Portable stove (gas / gasoline / alcohol)*
- Start water 3L
- Hydration bladder or water bottles with a minimum total volume of 3L
- Warm clothing and footwear suitable for terrain and conditions
- Boots or trail runners (footwear)
- First-aid supplies (bandages, adhesive tape, adhesive bandages, stretch bandages, sterile gauze, antiseptic, repellent, pain relievers)*
- Survival blanket
- Trash bag (provided by organizer)
You can leave your additional luggage with us. Leave it at the registrations and collect it after you finish. Please note that the Organizer is not responsible for any of your valuable items.
- On duty Croatian Mountain Rescue Service (HGSS)
- Premium mountaineering food: 3 meals per day (dehydrated food, cold cuts, cheese, bread, ready meals)
- Passes for NP Northern Velebit and NP Paklenica (Pass depends on the format)
- HIGHLANDER Bandana
- HIGHLANDER ID – detailed itinerary showing all checkpoints (with dedicated checkpoint stamp spaces)
- HIGHLANDER Maps – detailed hiking maps
- HIGHLANDER Pin
- HIGHLANDER Patch
- HIGHLANDER Certificate
- Educational and leisure activities
- Infrastructure at start, finish, checkpoints and along the route
- Transportation from Senj to Zavižan (starting point)* - ONLY HERCULES FORMAT
- Transportation from Starigrad to Baške Oštarije (starting point)* - ONLY PEGASUS FORMAT
- Luggage transportation (one 60 L/20 kg bag only) from Zavižan to Starigrad - ONLY HERCULES FORMAT
- Luggage transportation (one 60 L/20 kg bag only) from Baške Oštarije to Starigrad OR Luggage storage (one 60 L/20 kg bag only) in Starigrad - ONLY PEGASUS FORMAT
- Luggage storage (one 60 L/20 kg bag only) in Starigrad - ONLY ORION FORMAT
VIOLATION OF THE RULES
Participants will be disqualified under the following circumstances ➝
- If groups the teams sharing gear reach the finish line more than 30 minutes apart
- Preventing staff from verifying that gear meets requirements
- Missing required gear
- Fire starting
- Sleeping or cooking in mountain lodges, huts, or other accommodation facilities
- Borrowing equipment from the same facilities
- Bivouacking outside of the designated camps
The Organizer will provide meals to be distributed at checkpoints with the vegan option for those who choose it during the registration process.
Provided meals are suited to the average daily needs of an average adult: cooked food, dehydrated food, ready meals, spreads, cheese, cold cuts, and bread.
Participants supply their own snacks and extra food (as deemed necessary).
Water will be made available during staff working hours.
Detailed information on the provided meals will be given in a timely manner.
You must bring your own water to the Start (3L).
Plenty of drinking water will be available at all checkpoints.
There will be some checkpoints with water tankers (Skorpovac, Veliko Rujno) where participants can use water as according to customary hiking practice.
Mountain water is generally safe for drinking, but using water purification (tablets/drops/filter) may be a good idea.
BIVOUACKING AND SITES
Participants choose their bivouacking spot on the site.
The Organizer will designate non-mandatory bivouacking spots nearby Mountain Lodge Škropovac, on the meadow near Hostel Baške Oštarije, on meadow/helipad at the top of Panos and at Veliko Rujno.
Fire making is prohibited at Velebit.
Sleeping arrangements may include only the required gear: tent, tarp, bivouac sack or hammock.
Lodging, cooking, or borrowing gear in and from mountain lodges or huts IS PROHIBITED.
HIGHLANDER is not a race but it does have a time limit.
All participants who collected all stamps and came to finish by the time of the finish closing, will receive their HIGHLANDER Pin, Patch and Certificate.
Each format has a certain amount of mandatory checkpoints.
Participants must collect all checkpoint stamps in their HIGHLANDER ID.
Checkpoint stamp collection is the sole responsibility of the participant. If the event staff is not present at a checkpoint, participants must stamp their HIGHLANDER ID themselves.
LITTERING AND WASTE
Wastebaskets will be placed at Baške Oštarije and at the finish in Starigrad.
Littering and polluting is strictly prohibited and will result in immediate disqualification.
Participants may use the lavatories available at checkpoints, huts, hostels, etc.
When relieving in nature, feces must be buried or covered with stones well outside camping sites, buildings, and hiking trails. Failing to do so will result in immediate disqualification. Participants will be denied the HIGHLANDER Pin, Patch and Certificate.
LUGGAGE TRANSPORTATION TO STARIGRAD
The bag must not exceed 60 liters in volume and 20 kilograms in mass.
The Organizer will arrange transportation of maximum one bag per participant from Senj/Zavižan (for HIGHLANDER Hercules) or from Baške Oštarije (for HIGHLANDER Pegasus) to Starigrad.
The Organizer will arrange luggage storage of a maximum of one bag per participant at Starigrad for HIGHLANDER Orion format.
Upon registration, participants will receive a LUGGAGE TAG that must be attached to the luggage. The luggage collection service will be located at the finish in Starigrad (please study the finish/checkpoint working hours).
Please note that the Organizer is not responsible for any of your valuable items.
This is a dog-friendly event but dogs must be on a leash. You need to carry the dog food with you.
$0No extra registration fee required.
Please make sure that your dog is used to the terrain and you have proper footwear for it if necessary.
In the event of a serious injury or inability to walk, and if there is no cellular coverage, this must be reported at the nearest checkpoint through other participants or the organizers so that emergency service can be called.
If cellular service is available, serious injury or inability to walk must be reported to emergency services by dialling 112.
If withdrawing for reasons other than injury, participants must reach a road and either go back to Zavižan, Baške Oštarije, Panos, Veliko Rujno or Starigrad.
The Organizer will not be obligated toward withdrawing participants in any way. Participants will be responsible for making their own transportation arrangements.
THE ORGANIZER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE RULES.